I prepared this side dish to compliment my grill recipe Chicken Pesto Burgers with Tomato Topping, but it would also be excellent with grilled steak or other grilled meats. It’s easy to prepare and comes together in less than 15 minutes, including the grilling time. It’s FANTASTICO! This will serve 4 as a side dish.
- 1 large vidalia onion, peeled, & cut into 8 wedges, leaving part of the root intact
- 4 oz. white or cremini mushrooms, quartered and stems trimmed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 3 cups loosely packed young arugula (large leaves are tough and bitter), rinsed and spun dry
- 2-4 oz. crumbled goat cheese, as desired (I could eat the whole package with a spoon)
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (pignolias)
Preheat grill to medium. In a medium bowl, toss together the onion wedges, mushrooms, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and salt and pepper. Set aside and make the dressing.
Grill for about 10 minutes on a grilling rack or a vegetable basket, or until onions are slightly charred and mushrooms have cooked down a bit. Transfer to a serving bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature; then toss together with arugula and dressing. Top with crumbled goat cheese and sprinkle with pine nuts.
Note: if you are unfamiliar with pine nuts, they usually can be found in the baking section of your grocery store, or with the display of Italian products next to pasta. To toast, place them in a small skillet over medium low heat for 2-3 minutes or until just golden.