It’s grilling season! I’m always looking for new side dishes that interest me more than the usual cole slaw and potato salad. When you’re in a hurry, throw this great 5-minute broccoli slaw together and wait for friends and family to ask for the recipe! Kid-friendly, and healthy too. Great with grilled burgers, fish, and pork, or alongside Mexican-inspired main courses.
- 1/3 cup Hellman’s light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Daisy light sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, tops pulled off, trimmed, and sliced thinly on the diagonal
- juice of 1 medium lime, freshly squeezed
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar, to taste
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 10 oz. package of broccoli slaw mix (I like confetti slaw: red and green cabbage, broccoli, carrots)
In a medium bowl, whisk together the first six ingredients. Toss in the broccoli slaw mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or chill for up to 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Serves 4-6 as a side dish.
What I like best: quick, easy, delicious – and not too sweet – though you can use more sugar or some honey for a little more sweetness if desired. For South Beach Diet Phase I, substitute Splenda for sugar.